Found this while wandering about the internet:
I am a nut for natural remedies. I don’t know what it is but I love knowing how things were done before popular medicine was the norm. There is so much wisdom in it and I feel connected to the foundations of the Earth when I forgo conventional methods and I seek out alternative measures. I’ve been accused of being crunchy granola in the past but I’m okay with that.
I realize that coconut oil is not all that alternative, but there are still plenty of people who don’t understand the life-changing qualities of this edible oil. Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel (or meat) of matured coconuts, which is harvested from the coconut palm. Found in health food stores and many grocery stores, coconut oil has an amazing number of uses. As a young mother, I was always on the look out for natural remedies that were safe for my baby and I to use so I thought I’d compile a handy dandy list and share it with BabyCenter readers.
21 Mom and baby-friendly uses for coconut oil:
1. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, a powerful anti-microbial fatty acid that protects the immune system of the fetus and newborn. Expectant mothers can ingest a couple spoonfuls a day to boost their immune function.
2. Add several tablespoons to bathwater for added moisturizing to your skin. A few drops of lavender essential oil will also make the bathwater soothing and relaxing.
3. Rub the oil onto your skin to prevent stretchmarks and itchy skin associated with a growing baby belly.
4. Take a spoonful to help with heartburn, acid reflux or indigestion.
5. Mix with a drop of lavender oil to soothe pregnancy-induced hemorrhoids.
6. Virgin coconut oil balances blood sugar and controls diabetes and helps keep morning sickness at bay.
7. Mix it into your favorite pregnancy herbal tea, such as red raspberry leaf tea.
8. When applied to the perineum in the weeks leading up to labor, it can help reduce tearing and the need for an episiotomy during the birth.
9. During those first few newborn diaper changes, coconut oil will help remove the sticky meconium from baby’s bottom.
10. Coconut oil is the perfect carrier oil to remove baby’s stubborn cradle cap.
11. Nursing mothers can use it on their nipples, which can become cracked and painful during breastfeeding.
12. Consuming coconut oil can increase your milk flow.
13. Rub the oil on your baby’s diaper rash–it’s especially good for a yeast infection rash.
14. Add the oil to your homemade infant formula.
15. When baby is sick, make your own homemade vapor rub.
16. Need a pick me up after the hard work of taking care of baby? Eat a spoonful for a boost of natural energy.
17. Coconut oil taken both internally and topically can help treat the yeast that causes both thrush and candida. A little oil dabbed inside the baby’s mouth, as well as mom eating it and applying it to her nipples before breastfeeding is very effective.
18. Take coconut oil to reduce or eliminate headaches and migraines.
19. If you or your baby have eczema, rub coconut oil on your skin to soothe it.
20. Take a spoonful of coconut oil 20 minutes before a meal to help curb your hunger.
21. Coconut oil makes a great hair conditioner that can tame that weird dry/falling out stage your hair goes through after pregnancy.
Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor or holistic practitioner, I just play one on TV. Please use all tips at your own risk.
Have you tried coconut oil? What do you use it for?
Image source: Pearmama.com
Shared via my6sense