Day 17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at? #30things

There are so many things I wish I could do better.  Painting, piano, knitting, singing, speaking foreign languages… the list could go on for some time.

I think out of everything I can do but wish I was great at is playing the piano.  I just find it so therapeutic.  I played some through my whole pregnancy, so it still seems to calm the beast.

I have never taken formal lessons.  My father taught me when I was younger, and I continued to teach myself over the years.

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE my piano.  I have a 1910 Wilbur Cabinet Grand. It’s not in perfect condition, but it still plays beautifully.  I hope one day to have it restored so that my children can play it.

If I had to pick something practical to be great at, it would be speaking foreign languages.  I was able to speak more Spanish as a child, not I’m hopeless.  I definitely understand more that I speak.  I still don’t feel comfortable speaking it, so don’t plan on ever hearing those words come out of my mouth.

What do you wish you were great at?

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

28 thoughts on “Day 17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at? #30things

1. Jen says:

Oh, there are so many things I’d love to be excellent at! Or, even just better. Baking bread, singing, playing any kind of instrument, sewing, following through, being diligent and disciplined… 🙂

2. Cheryl says:

Oh, to limit it to one thing. The first thing that came to mind was gift giving. I wish I was a great gift giver. I want to be a generous and apropos. I often feel uncertain it was “enough” or “right.” Not that anyone has said he/she thought it wasn’t good. It’s that there are people who are truly gifted at gift giving.
    A close second is listening. I am an extrovert and can talk. I don’t want to become an introvert, but I’d love to be a great listener.
    And for speaking another language, it does take courage to make the million mistakes before learning a language. It’d be great to have the mind of a child who doesn’t seem to be bothered while learning to talk. LOL.
    Cheryl recently posted..Sneaker Health: Answering the ExcusesMy Profile

3. Sheree Thomas says:

What don’t I wish I was better at? I think I am a chronic perfectionist. But, I am working on being better at that, and being satisfied with just doing things well. I am a chronic organizer, I always feel like there is a better way, and I think I have general templates for everything.

4. kelli says:

What a great topic! I think I agree with you – piano. I took for three years then quit when I got into middle school for band. But I really love piano music and wish I could play beautifully!

5. DaLynn McCoy says:

Sounds like some fun goals you could actively work towards!

There’s a lot I wish I was better at as well, but I wish I was GREAT at prayer. I have some fantastic and even amazing spiritual gifts, and I can pray effectively, but I recognize a power prayer when I hear it and I want that! <3
    DaLynn McCoy recently posted..Welcome to my Walk in Faith!My Profile

6. Pam Allen says:

I would love to be able to do graphic art. My hubby is an airbrush artist and I would love to take his talent to another level. I hear you on the spanish- I also can understand more than I can speck it. Good luck on the Piano 🙂

7. Marie says:

Oh, there are so many things I wish I was good at. I like to play the piano, but I really wish I could play much better than I do. I’d love to be able to run faster or play basketball better with my kids. Probably the thing I need most is to be better at managing my time. Because if I managed my time better that would affect so many other things – like how organized I am here at home, our homeschool, my writing, etc. Thanks for a thought-provoking post!
    Marie recently posted..Tuna Salad Redo: A Healthy Lunch IdeaMy Profile

8. Joell says:

I wish I were great at singing! I would love to be able to sing my favorite songs, loudly, and actually like my own voice! It would be great to be able to get up in front of people and sing so great, you make them feel what you are feeling, just through your voice!

9. Lenora says:

I give piano and guitar lessons to help earn $$ , and because I wanted to teach music since I was ten. Because of damage to joints and nerves from a gluten intolerance, my hands are not as reliable as I’d like them to be so I do not play for anyone but family and myself. (and I am TERRIBLY shy LOL) But oh, when I need to spend time with the Lord and can’t find words, I can always find music and give that to Him! It is calming, centering, and so helpful! I still have the 1939 Everett spinet that my mom got me for my highschool graduation, and play on that as well as teach on it. I also have a lovely Washburn guitar, and the violin that I had from when I first started learning in the 6th grade. Just as a good book that has been well read and will be read again, the instruments in our lives can be just as much dear friends!
    As for language…. LOL There are several that I’d love to learn, gaelic being one as both my family and my husband’s have strong Irish backgrounds, but Spanish is definitely becoming a very important language to know!
    Lenora recently posted..Changing over to a more natural home?My Profile

• Kelly says:

I have calendars and post it notes everywhere. I am never caught up. I use my sons naps times to get as much blogging done as possible, and cram in housework when he is playing. It feels like I am treading water most days. On top of that, I have to find time for making crafty items, but that usually happens when someone can watch him because he is all about mommy as soon as the sewing machine turns on.

10. Michelle Muckala says:

I guess there are two things. I also wish I were great at playing the piano! I love classical music, it’s just so beautiful. It looks like it would be relaxing to sit down and just play beautiful music. The second is I wish I were better at being more outgoing. Most of my friends have outgoing personalities and people are drawn to them-I am more cautious of people and that tends to turn people off. And LOL on the Spanish, so no spanish posts to come anytime soon? 😉
    Michelle Muckala recently posted..What Does a Calendar Look Like Again?My Profile

• Kelly says:

Nope, no Spanish posts for me. I was a shy person growing up, I have become more outspoken as I have gotten older. Honestly, it just takes practice, and nerves of steel. I still hate meeting new people.